Our sustainability consulting services identify and integrate viable strategies to help clients achieve their sustainability goals, be they energy efficiency, operational cost savings, greenhouse gas reduction or occupant wellness. By applying theories from the Integrated Design Process, NORESCO helps project teams develop concepts and determine which concepts best meet the client’s goals and align with their organizational values.
From helping to improve the performance of building portfolios to working on federal courthouses, police and emergency personnel facilities, corporate headquarters and municipal office complexes, we take pride in projects that serve as examples to other public entities as well as the private sector.
Life Cycle Assessment Modeling
NORESCO has performed Life-Cycle Assessment (LCA) modeling on new and existing buildings to help project teams understand the carbon and environmental impacts of building materials over the lifespan of the building. The lifespan includes raw material procurement, manufacturing, construction, operation and decommissioning. NORESCO’s LCA modeling can evaluate different building elements for a variety of environmental impacts including:
- Global warming potential (greenhouse gases)
- Depletion of the stratospheric ozone layer
- Acidification of land and water sources
- Eutrophication (potential to pollute nearby water sources)
- Formation of tropospheric ozone
- Depletion of non-renewable energy resources
Our team can also perform simple payback analysis using benefits versus first costs. On many projects with a dictated payback limit, our team has evaluated mechanical systems, building enclosure improvements and other energy conservation measures using LCA — providing clients with the information they need to make informed decisions while balancing program, schedule and budget.
Energy Code Compliance Consulting
NORESCO regularly develops a baseline model to demonstrate where the project stands regarding code compliance. We help project teams identify and evaluate potential energy conservation measures that may improve compliance with state or local energy requirements. With decades of experience writing energy codes and standards for local governments and regulatory agencies, NORESCO has the expertise to help clients ensure their projects comply with local energy codes.
Greenhouse Gas Analysis
We understand there is growing regulatory pressure on the management of buildings and environmental performance. Together with building owners and managers, we are adept at interpreting legislation and implementing programs that deliver carbon reduction and long-term climate change strategies while enhancing efficiency and reducing operating costs.
Building Performance Testing
NORESCO provides building performance testing in accordance with rigorous industry standards in order to verify sustainability and wellness design strategies are operating as intended. The methods used are in compliance with green-building rating systems such as the LEED® green building program, Green Globes®, and the WELL Building Standard®.
- Indoor Air Quality Testing: NORESCO can provide indoor air quality testing for particulate matter (PM2.5 and PM10), total volatile organic compounds (VOCs), carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, ozone and nitrogen dioxide.
- Water Quality Testing: NORESCO can provide water quality testing to help an owner identify harmful sediment, microorganisms, dissolved metals, organic pollutants, disinfectant byproducts, herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers and public water additives.
- Light Quality Testing: NORESCO can provide measurements of lighting installations to verify appropriate illuminance levels for visual acuity and circadian lighting design in order determine if modifications to the lighting system needed or if simple operational setting adjustments can be made.
- Acoustic Quality Testing: NORESCO can provide sound level measurements on building systems and construction assemblies. Acoustic testing can be provided to determine reverberation time, sound masking, background noise levels, acoustical privacy and HVAC-generated noise levels.
Certification Consulting and Facilitation
Our sustainability team works with numerous green-building rating systems and has an advanced understanding of the requirements and strategies necessary to help clients achieve their green-building certification goals.
At project inception, we work closely with the project team to determine the client’s goals and understand their values so that we select the green-building rating system that best aligns with their desired outcomes. The rating systems evaluated include:
- LEED® for Building Design and Construction (LEED® BD+C)
- LEED® for Interior Design and Construction (LEED® ID+C)
- LEED® for Building Operations and Maintenance (LEED® EB: O&M)
- LEED® for Neighborhood Development (LEED® ND)
- LEED® Dynamic Plaque Certification
- Enterprise Green Communities
- Green Globes
- Living Building Challenge
- National Green Building Standard (NGBS)
- Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS)
- WELL Building Standard® (v1 and v2)
- WELL® v2 Performance Verification
General Contractor Support
Having constructed energy infrastructure projects totaling more than $3 billion in construction costs, we know firsthand the impact general contractors have on a project’s sustainability goals.
We regularly partner with general contractors to guide them through the green-building process, ensuring they understand their role in each phase of construction. Additionally, we walk them through documentation requirements as well as share proven methods and procedures for seamlessly working with their subcontractors to support the client’s sustainability goals.
USGBC®, the related logo, LEED®, and its related logo are trademarks owned by the U.S. Green Building Council and are used with permission.
International WELL Building InstituteTM and the related logo are trademarks used with permission from the International WELL Building InstituteTM.